Nerja Caves Festival of Music and Dance
Heavenly sounds straight out of the “Cathedral of Nerja”
Imagine yourself for a moment listening to a concert in a huge chamber which forms a natural amphitheater with incredible acoustic, surrounded by 250 million years of history, a place that has been the cradle of human evolution, full of stunning formations emanating from the floor and ceiling.
The world-acclaimed caves have been hosting the International Festival of Music and Dance since they opened to the public in 1960 attracting many international stars such as Rostropovich, Paco de Lucía and José Carreras to name a few.
This year, the International Festival of Music and Dance will be taking place between 16th June and 19th July.
The much awaited music festival celebrates its 59th edition with a group of renowned artists. The event will take place in 3 different locations to preserve the conservation of the caves. This summer, in accordance with expert advice, two shows will take place among stalactites and stalagmites, in the intimate setting of the “Cascade Chamber”.
The line-up for this year’s festival will be as follows:
Saturday 16th June
- Soprano Barbara Hendricks
- “The Road to Freedom”
- Mathias Algotsson, piano and Hammond
- Ulf Englund, guitar
- Where: inside the caves
Friday 29th June
- Manuel Liñan Flamenco dance group
- National Dance Prize winner
- Where: Caves gardens
Thursday 5th July
- Malaga Province Symphonic Orchestra
- Piano concerto nº5 in E flat major, op.73, Ludwig van Beethoven
- Symphony n º9 in E minor, Op 95 (New World Symphony) of Antonin Dvorak
- Director: Salvador Vazquez
- Piano: Antonio Ortiz
- Where: Plaza de España (free performance)
Friday 13th July
- Cuban saxophonist and clarinetist Paquito D’Rivera, 70 years of magic music
- Multiple Grammy winner and co-founder of the legendary music group Irakere alongside Chucho Valdés.
- Cave gardens
Thursday 19th July
- Javier Perianes, piano
- National Music Award
- Claude de Debussy and Manuel de Falla
- Inside the caves
Only 525 people will be able to attend these concerts. Outside the cave, the capacity is for 1200 people. Two of the boys who inadvertently discovered the caves 60 years ago (see our previous post here) will be present at all the performances.
This is a lifetime experience that you cannot miss out on. Tickets sell out fast, don’t wait too long to book your seats!
- The Nerja Caves
- Carretera de Maro, s/n
- 29787 Nerja (Malaga)
- 952 52 95 20
… and of course, we have the best vacational home for you and your family in Málaga. Just contact us and we will help you with pleasure![contact-form to=”email@example.com” subject=”I want to receive information about your rentals”][contact-field label=”Name” type=”name” required=”1″][contact-field label=”Email” type=”email” required=”1″][contact-field label=”How can we help you?” type=”textarea” required=”1″][/contact-form]