These are the basic characteristics of the beautiful lifestyle on the Malaga coast. The “Chiringuitos” are bars or restaurants on the beach.
Their specialty is fish and seafood. Many of them also have sun-loungers and terraces, which will allow you to spend the day at the beach while you enjoy good food and drinks served to your very own sun-lounger. To choose the best Chiringuito is pretty difficult because they all have their own unique atmosphere; however, we have prepared our own top 6 of the best Chiringuitos.
– Chiringuito Picasso: Located in the east of Malaga (Barrio El Limonar), is often visited by locals and although it is in the Malagueta, the beach is much calmer here. On the beach there are sun-loungers available for rent, which is the perfect place to spend the day. It is advisable to book beforehand because in summer it gets busy. A truly great dish is the “pescaito combinado” which is a platter of traditional friend fish.
Where: Paseo Marítimo Pablo Ruiz Picasso, Málaga/ Tlf. +34 616 19 09 94
– Chiringuito Tropicana: Located a few meters from the famous stone letters sign on the Malagueta beach front. This Chiringuito is one of the most photographed of the city and most visited by tourists. It offers a “chill out” type atmosphere with large double beds on the beach, beautiful draping white umbrellas plus sun-loungers. The “espetos de sardinas” (barbecued sardines) are undoubtedly the most requested dish as well as the Paella. They also do a chilled, fresh seafood platter which is just out of this world.
Where: Paseo Marítimo Pablo Ruiz Picasso, Málaga/ Tlf. +34 695 62 66 62.
– Chiringuito Gutiérrez Playa: This beach bar is located in the west of Malaga on the Huelin beach. The area in general is much more visited by the locals from the surrounding neighbourhoods. This chiringuito offers a “chill out” type atmosphere with large double beds on the beach and often music. The Deep-Fried calamari and “boquerones en limon” (fried anchovies in lemon) are great.
Where: Paseo Marítimo Antonio Banderas 6, Málaga. / Tlf: +34 952 11 89 08
– El Tintero II: This Chiringuito is located in El Palo and is the most classic and iconic of Malaga. It is famous for its dishes that are offered in the form of “auction”; ie, the waiters come out with the dishes, shouting out the names to see who wants it first. Their specialty is, of course, seafood and fried fish.
Where: Playa del Dedo, Málaga / Tlf: +34 952 20 68 26
– Chiringuito El Caleño: this is another classic of Malaga, located in Pedregalejo. It is an excellent choice for seafood lovers. Its terrace overlooking the sea is always full so reservations are essential. Their specialties, all my favourites: the clams and fish baked in salt.
Where: Paseo Marítimo el Pedregal, 49, Málaga / Tlf: +34 952 29 91 48
– El Balneario: The Chiringuito Baños del Carmen is the most famous and iconic in Malaga. Although over the years it has changed its name and owners, its essence is the magical location, hung out in the ocean where you can watch the sunset and the waves crash against the old stone walls, of course accompanied by a drink and some live music.
Where: Calle Bolivia, 40, Málaga / Tlf: +34 951 33 31 31